CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Waiting: Do You Think I Have All Day?

I used to hate waiting.  Waiting rooms. Waiting on line. Waiting for the freight train to pass. It’s my impatient, Jersey, I-have-somewhere-to-be mentality.

Yesterday, I had an appointment at a doctor’s office that is notorious for making me wait. I mean, really wait. Long, torturous hours. It makes my blood boil.  The audacity!  This appointment had the power to ruin my entire afternoon.

But yesterday was different. I entered the waiting room childless (childless may be the operative word here), with my reading materials, ready to wait. Bring it. I’ve got all day. Well, as long as I’m outta here by 3:30.

I relaxed into one of the cushiony, leather chairs and perused the latest Real Simple magazine, which usually accumulates dust on my nightstand for months before I have the opportunity to open it. By then, I'm reading about summer skin care in January.  What good is that?  

I'll have you know that yesterday, I actually read entire articles without transforming into a human jungle gym, without a little person crawling on me or tugging at my pants.  It was liberating just to sit and wait, to read something that made me laugh out loud (embarrassing at times) or wonder Is this blogging material? I never once glanced at the clock, annoyed.

Heck, if waiting is the closest I can get to time alone, I’ll take it.


9 comments:

Allison said...

I whole heartedly agree!!!!

Jenni said...

Sometimes waiting ROCKS...

Ace said...

That is the only time I don't mind waiting, when I'm totally alone!

ChefDruck said...

Today I waited with 2 cranky kids for 2 hours at the Passport Agency. It was hell. I want to go hang out at your doctor's office to recover!

A Modern Mother said...

I'm with you here. I have totally calmed down since I having children, and am extra nice to people.

What's even better about a waiting room is watching others with kids and knowing you don't have to deal with it.

Jessica said...

Nice! What a great way to take a break!

Amanda said...

I'm with you! When I have an appt. I like to arrive a few minutes early just to wait!

Now, waiting with the kids, totally different story!

C Golightly said...

I know exactly what you are talking about. I subscribe to too many magazines therefore on those rare occasions when I am by myself and waiting, I have at least one book and 3-4 magazines with me so I can be able to choose which one strikes my mood at that time. I feel like a bag lady but I am a Mom alone and that is a rare thing these days.

Erin said...

that's so funny, I used to hate waiting before kids too! But now when I am called and I've only had a few minutes to look the the most recent People Mag, that's when I get frustrated! :)