CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Make Your Bed.

I'm not a domestic goddess.  There are usually piles of laundry on the floor and dirty dishes in the sink.  But one thing is certain: The bed is always made.  Well, almost always.

A few months before my daughter was born, I sat down with my husband for the talk.  Sorry to disappoint, but it had nothing to do with money, sex, or in-laws.  “We need to start making the bed,” I insisted.  If I was going to demand that my child make her bed one day, then I needed to do it too. 

So we tested the widely held belief that it takes 21 days to make a habit.  Now (Drumroll, please), almost two years later, I’m still climbing into a nice, neat bed every night.  And every morning I take one minute to pull the sheets taut and straighten the comforter.  One minute.  That’s all it takes.

You’re probably wondering: Why the big stink over the bed? Because it’s never just about making the bed.  Even Michelle Obama, who has a 95-person residence staff, demands that her two daughters make their beds.  In an interview with Oprah, the First Lady spoke of her daughters’ chores: “It can’t be foreign to them to be part of a working household.”  I couldn’t agree more. 

I spent a couple of years teaching first and second grade.  During conference time, parents inevitably asked what they could do at home to help their children succeed.  Without fail, I always answered, “Read.  Read.  Read.”  If I had to do it all over again, I’d add, “And have little Suzie make her bed.” 

 

5 comments:

Allison said...

I couldn't agree more...Max makes his bed almost every day!

mirmorris said...

I completely hear you on this one. It's an easy way to still feel like I have control over my messy house.

Sarah Morris said...

how timely this post is!!! i am on day 6 of the 21 day training period for myself. i had finally had it- i can keep the kitchen clean-ish, put most of the laundry away, remember to close the shower curtain, but if the bed isn't made, i feel like the house is messy....

Momo Fali said...

Yikes. I need to do this. I really, really do. I would love to climb into a neat bed every night. Unfortunately, my husband gets out of bed after me and there's no way he'll do it. I'll have to make the bed at lunchtime, when I come home from my part time job. But, I'm in the bedroom changing anyway...so what the heck! I'll make my bed!

turnitupmom said...

Sarah,
Don't think I'm not checking up on you on May 28th!