CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Homemade Playdough Recipe

Kids love playdough. Why? Because they can dig their little fingers into a gooey blob and create something totally cool. I'm a big fan of simple things that encourage creativity and ingenuity in children. But there are two things that bug me about playdough. One, that smell (You know exactly what I'm talking about!). And two, it inevitably ends up embedded in the high-pile carpet, and weeks later you're still scraping away at these irritating bits, now painfully wedged under your fingernails.  At last, here's a simple recipe for homemade playdough . . .perfect for a rainy day!


Ingredients:
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 c. warm water
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp. vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c. salt
  • food coloring optional
Directions:
  1. Mix all of the ingredients in a pot and stir over medium heat until smooth.
  2. Knead into a ball and allow to cool completely, kneading every few minutes. It becomes more firm as it cools.
  3. Store it in a container with lid. It lasts for days.
I wish I could say that Liza loved sinking her fingers into my homemade playdough, and that it supplied us with endless hours of fun. I was all set to whip out the cookie cutters with animals and shapes, but truthfully, she just wanted to eat it. That's what I get for making my own. I guess, in her own way, she loved it too. At least it's not decorating my carpet!

6 comments:

Allison said...

So fun...my mom had given me a very similar recipe that she used for her classroom.

Cute picture of Liza!

mirmorris said...

I always ate the stuff too. I loved that it was salty. That picture is so adorable and I love the idea of making your own!

Terra said...

homemade playdough rocks - we use a recipe my mom used when I was a kid! Doesn't get any better (or cheaper) than this! FUN STUFF>

Unknown said...

I love to make home-made playdough, and play with it too - very stress relieving and therapeutic!

Thanks for visiting my blog - but you missed my main one - Welcome to My World - please visit again as I am very remiss at posting at the one you went to!

Savvy-Motherhood said...

welcome to MBC!I also a HUGE Disney nut. We also honeymooned there too. :)

Sam said...

its rainy here...thanks for the idea! we are going to make some right now! and i like to know its safe to eat bc im sure she will be doing a lot of that :)